Clear all

Week 03 | Wednesday - Mark 39

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week's readings are all from Mark chapters 3-4. Click here to see a list of each day's readings. Each day's segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading:

“...I tell you the truth, people will be forgiven for all sins, even all the blasphemies they utter. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin” (because they said, “He has an unclean spirit”).

Then Jesus’ mother and his brothers came. Standing outside, they sent word to him, to summon him. A crowd was sitting around him and they said to him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are outside looking for you.” He answered them and said, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” And looking at those who were sitting around him in a circle, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.”

Again he began to teach by the lake. Such a large crowd gathered around him that he got into a boat on the lake and sat there while the whole crowd was on the shore by the lake. He taught them many things in parables, and in his teaching said to them: “Listen! A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it. Other seed fell on rocky ground where it did not have much soil. It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep. When the sun came up it was scorched, and because it did not have sufficient root, it withered. Other seed fell among the thorns, and they grew up and choked it, and it did not produce grain. But other seed fell on good soil and produced grain, sprouting and growing; some yielded thirty times as much, some sixty, and some a hundred times.” And he said, “Whoever has ears to hear had better listen!” (Mark 3:28–4:9 NET)

The previous translation is from the NET Bible translation. Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NET) are from the NET Bible® copyright ©1996, 2019 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. All rights reserved.

Resources for Today's Reading

7 Replies
Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

A few reflections on today's readings. We gave more in-depth insight in this week's podcast. I encourage you to listen if you're interested in digging a bit deeper.

The scene from yesterday's readings — Jesus's family restrained him because they thought he was losing it (my translation) — and today where Jesus defines his family as those who are faithful. I have historically taken it as a redefinition of those who are in His actual/metaphorical/close family, but one of the commentaries I use gave me some insight to this sections larger context:

"In the changing relationships of the kingdom of God, the insiders (the religious leaders and the physical heirs of Abraham’s promise) become outsiders, and outsiders (sinners, tax collectors, Gentiles, etc.) will become insiders and the recipients of God’s salvation." - Mark Strauss (ZECNT)

The family that Jesus is teaching about broadening is not simply his direct family but also the larger family of God's people. For a people that see/saw their identity as Children of Abraham, Jesus helps all to see that ancestral connection alone is not sufficient to define relationship. Doing the will of God defines the relationship.

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit ( Mark 1-10-11). In Chapter 3 we see Jesus family saying “He is out of his mind” and the scribes saying He is demon possessed. Please correct me if I am wrong but in the ancient world weren’t they talking the same thing? Then Jesus says “whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit won’t be forgiven.” In a spirit filled world where people believe all manner of ailments are spiritual , here comes a man saying being filled with the Holy Spirit is ok and don’t blaspheme him. As we read further the Holy Spirit will become vital to the formation of the church so talking bad about him would be a problem.

Mark Welch
(@sailing-bum)

First of all, the most recent podcast that focused on verses in chapter 3 was excellent.  Several verses really reminded me of statements Jesus made that (for me) need clarification and context in terms of understanding the ancient times and spiritual significance. For example, when Jesus asked  “Who are my mother and my brothers?”, etc..etc.   When I first started reading the Bible in the mid eighties, that idea that the immediate family of Jesus  was regarded in this manner, was totally offensive to me. I even asked myself, "Am I really going to follow this guy?"  I had just started my own family and they were everything to me.

With age, I realized there were factors I didn't understand. Always sort of in back of my mind skimming through scripture, knowing there were answers but not taking time to dig in.  

I suspect in those ancient times, the term "family" was interpreted only in the biological sense and the expansion of love and care to the outside world might have been cause for fear and alarm. The "outside world" was, and still is, kind of a scary place. Jesus was telling us it is okay to broaden our definition of family, (I think.)

4 Replies
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@sailing-bum:

I suspect in those ancient times, the term "family" was interpreted only in the biological sense and the expansion of love and care to the outside world might have been cause for fear and alarm. The "outside world" was, and still is, kind of a scary place. Jesus was telling us it is okay to broaden our definition of family, (I think.)

Man, so good!

Also, if you are looking for pro-bono podcast work...  😉

Mark Welch
(@sailing-bum)

@siteadmin  As much as I'd like to help, I'm afraid technology has pretty much passed me by since the early days of podcasting. You guys have great discussions and the podcast is presented expertly! But if there is something in particular you need, just holler.

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

Your voice alone would be incredible.

Mark Welch
(@sailing-bum)

Share: