Clear all

Week 03 | Thursday - Mark 4:10-25

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week's readings are all from Mark chapters 3-4. Click here to see a list of each day's readings. Each day's segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading:

When he was alone, those around him with the twelve asked him about the parables. He said to them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those outside, everything is in parables:

'...so that although they look they may look but not see,
and although they hear they may hear but not understand,
so they may not repent and be forgiven.'”

He said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? Then how will you understand any parable? The sower sows the word. These are the ones on the path where the word is sown: Whenever they hear, immediately Satan comes and snatches the word that was sown in them. These are the ones sown on rocky ground: As soon as they hear the word, they receive it with joy. But they have no root in themselves and do not endure. Then, when trouble or persecution comes because of the word, immediately they fall away. Others are the ones sown among thorns: They are those who hear the word, but worldly cares, the seductiveness of wealth, and the desire for other things come in and choke the word, and it produces nothing. But these are the ones sown on good soil: They hear the word and receive it and bear fruit, one thirty times as much, one sixty, and one a hundred.”

He also said to them, “A lamp isn’t brought to be put under a basket or under a bed, is it? Isn’t it to be placed on a lampstand? For nothing is hidden except to be revealed, and nothing concealed except to be brought to light. If anyone has ears to hear, he had better listen!” And he said to them, “Take care about what you hear. The measure you use will be the measure you receive, and more will be added to you. For whoever has will be given more, but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.” (Mark 4:10–25 NET)

The previous translation is from the NET Bible translation. Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NET) are from the NET Bible® copyright ©1996, 2019 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. All rights reserved.

Resources for Today's Reading

7 Replies
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)
Estimable Member

Two parts that I get kind of caught on…

'...so that although they look they may look but not see,
and although they hear they may hear but not understand,
so they may not repent and be forgiven.'

At first, it seems easy to make the follow-up assumption, “So Jesus spoke cryptically so that some may not repent and be forgiven?! Why???” But I have to trust that there is more to it… 

What do you all do with this reference? One other direction I start to go, is this is a statement about the nature of a world with “free will.” So, the reality is some who do not initially understand will simply reject the message instead of digging in. (Dig in, y’all!)

The other point…

For whoever has will be given more, but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

I just hope this means that, for those who are generous with how the evaluate and relate to people (their “measure”) will be treated that way, and those that are “shrewd” will be evaluated with the same lens… What do you all think?

6 Replies
Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)

Estimable Member

Hey Travis! I've enjoyed hearing you in the podcasts!! Such good questions. To your first one, I had the odd sense as I read it again this morning that I finally understood it. And maybe Jesus really is saying for those on the outside -- those who really have no intention of being part but, perhaps, listen in so as to trap Jesus -- they aren't gonna get it. They will miss the mystery revealed -- Jesus the Christ! 🤷

To your second question, I keep going back to context. Everything in these passages has been about God's Word, so could Jesus be saying that when we're given God's Word, we're meant to do something with it? Not leave it under a bushel, hidden away? And as we live by His Word and share His Word, we're given more of it?

Such great questions, Travis. Not sure how my thoughts line up, but they're my initial responses! Keep asking the questions!!

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@shelley-johnson @mallary-malwick Yes, thank you Shelley! It does seem to make more sense in the context of God's Word... especially the parable preceding that one line I mentioned. 

All things in God's word, even the mysteries and the things we don't get, are there to be revealed, not to remain unknown or stay hidden. 

Mallary Malwick
(@mallary-malwick)

Eminent Member

These two stuck out to me too, Travis. Even on this side of Jesus’s life, death and resurrection, these passages seem cryptic/confusing. I can’t imagine how they must have felt to those who were present when he spoke them.
Shelley, I like your thoughts on maybe Jesus referring to God’s word.

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@mallary-malwick @travisbruno3 @shelley-johnson

Shelley wrote:

...maybe Jesus really is saying for those on the outside -- those who really have no intention of being part but, perhaps, listen in so as to trap Jesus -- they aren't gonna get it.

I think this may be a great, insightful, and helpful interpretation of an aspect of Jesus that fits the overall narrative of Mark. The scribes (in the NET 'experts in the Law') are following Jesus, watching his words and actions, and missing the whole point. Even what they have is lost to them.

I also think it is important to remember that things that offend, are difficult or problematic for us often weren't for the original hearers/readers of biblical texts. In a first-century context, likely no one would have been shocked or offended by the idea that there were persons excluded from certain mysteries and teachings. The thing that happens in the Gospels, in the life of Jesus, is that those who were not expected to get it are the ones who do and those who should get it (and have all the expertise to get it), don't. It turns the expectations upside down.

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

Here are some passages from the scriptures that are similar to some of these ideas in regard to the upside-down, unexpected nature of the revelation/insight into the mysteries and wisdom of God:

Daniel

Daniel says that it is God who gives wisdom and understanding:

Daniel said: “Blessed be the name of God from age to age, for wisdom and power are his.He changes times and seasons, deposes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with him. (Daniel 2:20–22 NRSV)

Jesus in Luke's Gospel

In the Kingdom of God, the truly"wise"—those who have been given insight into God's mysteries and wisdom—are not those who are expected:

On that same occasion Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your gracious will. All things have been given to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, or who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son decides to reveal him.” (Luke 10:21–22 NET, see also Matt. 11:25–27)

Paul to the Corinthians

Paul goes into more elaborate detail on the above in relation to his own proclamation of the message about Jesus and the make-up of the Corinthian community:

For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and I will thwart the cleverness of the intelligent.” Where is the wise man? Where is the expert in the Mosaic law? Where is the debater of this age? Has God not made the wisdom of the world foolish? For since in the wisdom of God the world by its wisdom did not know God, God was pleased to save those who believe by the foolishness of preaching. For Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks ask for wisdom, but we preach about a crucified Christ, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles. But to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

Think about the circumstances of your call, brothers and sisters. Not many were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were born to a privileged position. But God chose what the world thinks foolish to shame the wise, and God chose what the world thinks weak to shame the strong. God chose what is low and despised in the world, what is regarded as nothing, to set aside what is regarded as something, so that no one can boast in his presence. He is the reason you have a relationship with Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:18–31 NET)

Jamie Crooch
(@jcgram)

@travisbruno3 thank you Travis my questions exactly.

Share: