Clear all

Week 02 - Tuesday | Mark 2:6-12

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week's readings are all from Mark chapter 2. Click here to see a list of each day's readings. Each day's segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading:

Now some of the experts in the law were sitting there, turning these things over in their minds: “Why does this man speak this way? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” Now immediately, when Jesus realized in his spirit that they were contemplating such thoughts, he said to them, “Why are you thinking such things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Stand up, take your stretcher, and walk’? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,”—he said to the paralytic — “I tell you, stand up, take your stretcher, and go home.” And immediately the man stood up, took his stretcher, and went out in front of them all. They were all amazed and glorified God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!” (Mark 2:6–12 NET)

The previous translation is from the NET Bible translation. Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NET) are from the NET Bible® copyright ©1996, 2019 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. All rights reserved.

3 Replies
Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

The connection between sinfulness and healing is something I think we actually still have tucked away in a deeper recess of our hearts/brains. Are there ever times where you assume someone's plight is a direct fruit of choices they have made? 

There's a story later on where Jesus tells the crowd: 

Jesus answered, "Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but he was born blind so that the acts of God may be revealed through what happens to him. John 9:3 NET

Deservedness is still very much a part of our culture and Jesus rebuffs that way of seeing the world. 

Also, in a very personal way I am praying that I get to be apart of an awakening to the point that we are experiencing such a powerful movement of God's Spirit that we are saying daily, "we have never seen anything like this..." 

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)
Estimable Member

So GREAT: Jesus has the authority to heal AND forgive/release from sin.

Jesus, I need Your healing. I need Your release. Thank you for Your mercy.

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)
Estimable Member

Gosh, I just got swept away yesterday with everything else — but I didn't want to forget this section!

Which is easier – forgiveness or healing??? Jesus's question feels like it assumes forgiveness is easier because he follows with healing (as if it's more challenging/impressive). 

How does healing prove that Jesus had authority to forgive???

I suppose it's all part of the 1st century view that tied the two together so tightly... and I just re-read through, I was assuming that everyone was there for healing specifically, but realized Mark just tells us everyone was gathered and Jesus was just chatting* about the word. So, it was just a crowded home gathered to hear Jesus and these friends and the paralytic were certainly an interruption. 

But I still wonder about this exchange... People often ask for healing and Jesus heals because of their faith, but how often does he say they are forgiven like this? I searched and only found a couple other places in the Gospels (Matt. 9:2, Luke 5:20, Luke 7:48)... 

Just trying to enter into the moment and understand as much as I can... 🤪 

*Jimmy had pointed out, and I also looked up the Greek word; it's not at all what we think of as preaching, but simply like talk/chatter/babble.

Share: