Clear all

Week 05 | Thursday | Mark 6:30-44

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week's readings are all from Mark chapter 6. Click here to see a full reading and a list of each day's readings. Each day's segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading:

Then the apostles gathered around Jesus and told him everything they had done and taught. He said to them, “Come with me privately to an isolated place and rest a while” (for many were coming and going, and there was no time to eat). So they went away by themselves in a boat to some remote place. But many saw them leaving and recognized them, and they hurried on foot from all the towns and arrived there ahead of them. As Jesus came ashore he saw the large crowd and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he taught them many things.

When it was already late, his disciples came to him and said, “This is an isolated place and it is already very late. Send them away so that they can go into the surrounding countryside and villages and buy something for themselves to eat.” But he answered them, “You give them something to eat.” And they said, “Should we go and buy bread for 200 silver coins and give it to them to eat?” He said to them, “How many loaves do you have? Go and see.” When they found out, they said, “Five—and two fish.” Then he directed them all to sit down in groups on the green grass. So they reclined in groups of hundreds and fifties. He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. He gave them to his disciples to serve the people, and he divided the two fish among them all. They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the broken pieces and fish that were left over, twelve baskets full. Now there were 5,000 men who ate the bread. (Mark 6.30–44 NET)

The previous translation is from the NET Bible translation. Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NET) are from the NET Bible® copyright ©1996, 2019 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. All rights reserved.

Resources for the Reading

13 Replies
Jamie Crooch
(@jcgram)

I love this story for so many reasons. I envision how desperate for Jesus these people were to come far and leaving home fast without provisions. How Jesus feeds and cares for His sheep. How Jesus gives thanks to the Father and then comes the miracle. The true miracle being demonstrated that Jesus is the true bread of life.

1 Reply
Bill Parks
(@8ill8ook)

Well said Jamie, He really loves us all.

Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

The disciples sarcastically respond to Jesus, "should we go and buy bread for 8 months of wages (200 coins) and give it to them to eat?" They knew they didn't have the means to pay for their feeding, but Jesus doesn't rebuke him but pushes them to recognize the power of Jesus to multiply what was available.

1 Reply
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@jralphsmith I don't quite read as much sarcasm in it... but a sort of exhaustion, maybe? They had all just been catching up from all the ministry they had been out doing, and Jesus himself was like "Hey let's go take a break."

So, maybe sarcasm... maybe a bit of whining cause they were expecting rest with Jesus... grumbling, for sure 😜... but YES - he doesn't come down on them regardless of their reaction, and...

"They all ate and were satisfied"

It sounds like Jesus worked some magic and sustained them all, anyway. 

Paul Moore
(@paulmoore405)

Somewhere back in time I heard an explanation that there was probably food among the group and through Jesus’s prayer they were moved to share it. I like that idea, as we are all guilty of selfishness. Truly following Christ will change our stingy hearts to generous hearts.

Marcia Foster
(@marcia)

They wanted so badly to hear Jesus. In the end, He also fed them.

1 Reply
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@marcia He did. He seems to always do that.

Mallary Malwick
(@mallary-malwick)
Eminent Member

Such a great story!!! Any significance of 12 baskets full left over?

4 Replies
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@mallary-malwick You asked:

Any significance of 12 baskets full left over?

That's a great question. It could be that this is simply the number of baskets left. However, it isn't uncommon for biblical authors to use number or mention them for larger symbolic reference. Some interpreter's see a connection here with the 12 tribes of Israel, and that these leftovers are in some way connected to the notion that that there is plenty left-over from Israel for others (the "scraps from the table" so to speak that may be a bit at play in the later story of the Syro-Phoenician woman in Mark 7).

But really, Mark doesn't explain this number or why he specifically mentions it.

Mallary Malwick
(@mallary-malwick)

Eminent Member

That is great info. I also kind of wondered if it had anything to do with the 12 disciples. They doubted/questioned feeding the crowd and it almost seemed like a left over basket for each of them.

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@mallary-malwick Great thought! "You didn't think you could do this? Carry these baskets full of food." lol

Mallary Malwick
(@mallary-malwick)

Eminent Member

Exactly! 😊

Bill Parks
(@8ill8ook)

Getting to feel like I’m seeing more in this reading than ever before. But tv sure have a lot of questions. I see the literary connection of God passing by and Jesus passing by, but it seemed to me that His intention was to no engage with them at this time. “Immediately “ was a keyword for me in this passage. Especially His comforting them. Interesting to note the sea calmed without Jesus commanding it. Finally, the switch from the sea encounter and their not understanding about the loaves.

Share: