Clear all

Mark Chapter 1 - Intro Resources

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

Welcome to the new year of daily Gospel readings for 2022. We begin with the Gospel of Mark. Matthew, Luke, and John will follow. Each week there will be one or two chapters of Gospels readings. This allows for a slow, easy-paced, and in-depth reading of each of the Gospels. The plan breaks each chapter down as whole-reading, then smaller daily readings. However, the length of readings could easily allow for a full reading each day of every chapter or two of the gospels per week. We hope you enjoy this process, grow closer to Jesus, and are shaped by His life through the readings.

DAILY READINGS:

You can view/download a printable version of the full year of readings here.

RESOURCES:

ONLINE BIBLE READING AND STUDY RESOURCES

RESOURCES FROM THE BIBLE PROJECT:

How To Read the Bible: The Gospel

Euangelion/Gospel Word Study

The Gospel of the Kingdom Theme

Gospel of Mark Overview, Version 1

Gospel of Mark Overview, Version 2

LUMO PROJECT DRAMATIZED SCRIPTURE: MARK 1:1-45

16 Replies
Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

Mark starts with a declaration about what this gospel is all about. The good news of Jesus Christ.

Jimmy Doyle
(@jdoyle)

Looking forward to all the great discussions!

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @jralphsmith

Mark starts with a declaration about what this gospel is all about. The good news of Jesus Christ.

So good and rich! The good news of Jesus as the Anointed and the Son of God is made clear at the very outset of Mark's Gospel. For his first readers, this was likely the title of his Gospel. It's a not-so-secret secret in Mark's account of Jesus' life.

For some interesting in-depth information about the phrase 'beginning of the good news of Jesus the Anointed, the son of God' and an inscription about Caesar Augustus that uses a similar phrase, see this post: Mark 1:1: The Beginning of the Good News and an inscription about Caesar Augustus

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

I look forward to the journey with all of you through the Gospels. Happy New Year.

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@vltaylor1136

Welcome, Vickie! Happy New Year!

Mark Welch
(@sailing-bum)

Onboard with this!

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@sailing-bum

Welcome, Mark! Good to have you on board with us for the journey.

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member

For those joining this journey, here are some thoughts on reading the Bible in the new year.

Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)
Trusted Member

Here we go…looking forward to this year in the gospels…in my reading today from the intro to Mark in my study Bible, I learned that Mark was the first Gospel written and that the other 3 gospels used all but 34 verses of The Gospel according to Mark in writing there Gospels

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@okiebull13 Yes. Almost all scholars agree (which is quite a thing to say!) that Matthew and Luke used Mark to write their gospels. The evidence is very strong for this.

Bill Parks
(@8ill8ook)

The Word is living, always having something new to say to us. The translation of 1:39 was new to me. Jesus was indignant vs. had compassion on the leper. Looking forward to this look at the Gospels. God Bless You, my fellow travelers.

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

Posted by @8ill8ook:

The translation of 1:39 was new to me. Jesus was indignant vs. had compassion on the leper.

@8ill8ook This is quite a textual dilemma for those scholars and translation committees choosing which Greek texts are the best. Most manuscripts of Mark (almost all) have the Greek word for "being filled with compassion" (splagchnistheis) at Mark 1:39. However, an important early manuscript known as Codex Bezae (given the letter designation 'D') has "to be angry" (orgistheis) at this verse. The question is: which word reflects the original wording of Mark? How is that decision made? On one hand, it seems unlikely that scribes would have changed "Jesus was filled with compassion" to "Jesus was angry" in this passage concerning the leper. In addition, Jesus does get angry in other places in Mark (7:34; 9:19). Perhaps in Mark's original, Jesus was angry with the leper as well, and then later scribes softened/changed the text to align more with Jesus having compassion.

On the other hand, though Codex Bezae (D) is an early witness to the text of Mark, the scribe(s) of this manuscript frequently made significant changes to the text. Is it possible that the scribe of D changed "was filled with compassion" to "was angry/indignant" in order to line up with Jesus' stern warning to him to be silent in Mark 1:43? Also, if later scribes were softening Jesus' treatment of the leper at Mark 1:39, why didn't these scribes make similar changes from anger to compassion at Mark 7:34 and 9:19?

Scholars are divided on the conclusions. So some English translation committees choose to use the majority of manuscripts and others choose to use the reading of Codex Bezae. The NET, NIV 2011, and a few others choose "indignant." Most other versions choose "filled with compassion."

Also: It takes lots of meticulous work by well-trained experts, who sometimes have to make difficult decisions, to put an English Bible into our hands.

Bonnie Cates
(@bonniec)

I’m so glad to share this Gospel journey with you all!
I love how Mark jumps right in and takes off introducing us to Jesus by what God says about him and by what Jesus does.

Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)
Trusted Member

Soooo….for clarification, was one suppose to read the complete chapter 1 yesterday or do read/watch introductory material for Mark and in particular Mark ch 1…and then begin the reading today with Mark 1:1-8🤔🤔

2 Replies
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@okiebull13 Yes.

Also, you can find the full passage for Week 1, broken down into the daily readings, and discussion on this week's reading here.

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@okiebull13 I think the baseline is to read the whole chapter(s) once on Sunday, and then dive into the segments of the chapter(s) again each day through the week. 🙂 And explore any other resources whenever you have time!

I'm really excited for the reading format!

Share: