Mark Chapter 1 - Year in the Gospels Readings for Week 1

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

DAILY READINGS:

You can view/download a printable version of the full year of readings here. Below is a full translation of Mark 1 from the NET Bible with divisions added for the Monday-Friday readings. Other translations, versions, and resources for Mark 1 can be found at biblegateway.com. Please do not forget to share your thoughts and insights in the comments section below this post.

MARK CHAPTER 1

Monday | Mark 1.1-8 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
“Look, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way,
the voice of one shouting in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make his paths straight.’”

In the wilderness John the baptizer began preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People from the whole Judean countryside and all of Jerusalem were going out to him, and he was baptizing them in the Jordan River as they confessed their sins. John wore a garment made of camel’s hair with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, “One more powerful than I am is coming after me; I am not worthy to bend down and untie the strap of his sandals. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Tuesday | Mark 1.9-15: Now in those days Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan River. And just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens splitting apart and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my one dear Son; in you I take great delight.” The Spirit immediately drove him into the wilderness. He was in the wilderness forty days, enduring temptations from Satan. He was with wild animals, and angels were ministering to his needs.

Now after John was imprisoned, Jesus went into Galilee and proclaimed the gospel of God. He said, “The time is fulfilled and the kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the gospel!”

Wednesday | Mark 1.16-28: As he went along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew, Simon’s brother, casting a net into the sea (for they were fishermen). Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will turn you into fishers of people!” They left their nets immediately and followed him. Going on a little farther, he saw James, the son of Zebedee, and John his brother in their boat mending nets. Immediately he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.

Then they went to Capernaum. When the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people there were amazed by his teaching, because he taught them like one who had authority, not like the experts in the law. Just then there was a man in their synagogue with an unclean spirit, and he cried out, “Leave us alone, Jesus the Nazarene! Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” But Jesus rebuked him: “Silence! Come out of him!” After throwing him into convulsions, the unclean spirit cried out with a loud voice and came out of him. They were all amazed so that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching with authority! He even commands the unclean spirits and they obey him.” So the news about him spread quickly throughout all the region around Galilee.

Thursday | Mark 1.29-38: Now as soon as they left the synagogue, they entered Simon and Andrew’s house, with James and John. Simon’s mother-in-law was lying down, sick with a fever, so they spoke to Jesus at once about her. He came and raised her up by gently taking her hand. Then the fever left her and she began to serve them. When it was evening, after sunset, they brought to him all who were sick and demon-possessed. The whole town gathered by the door. So he healed many who were sick with various diseases and drove out many demons. But he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.

Then Jesus got up early in the morning when it was still very dark, departed, and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer. Simon and his companions searched for him. When they found him, they said, “Everyone is looking for you.” He replied, “Let us go elsewhere, into the surrounding villages, so that I can preach there too. For that is what I came out here to do.”

Friday | Mark 1.39-45: So he went into all of Galilee preaching in their synagogues and casting out demons.

Now a leper came to him and fell to his knees, asking for help. “If you are willing, you can make me clean,” he said. Moved with indignation, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing. Be clean!” The leprosy left him at once, and he was clean. Immediately Jesus sent the man away with a very strong warning. He told him, “See that you do not say anything to anyone, but go, show yourself to a priest, and bring the offering that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.” But as the man went out he began to announce it publicly and spread the story widely, so that Jesus was no longer able to enter any town openly but stayed outside in remote places. Still they kept coming to him from everywhere.

The previous translation is from the NET Bible translation. Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NET) are from the NET Bible® copyright ©1996, 2019 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. http://netbible.com All rights reserved.

RESOURCES FOR THIS WEEK

Click here for helpful resources for this week's readings.

45 Replies
Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

Welcome to the Gospels in a Year. I am glad you are on this journey with me.

1 Reply
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@vltaylor1136 I am really looking forward to walking through these personal stories with you and our community! 

I am praying to not only encounter the person of Jesus in a fresh way, but also to encounter the persons of Mark, Matthew, Luke, John, and others in the first community with Christ. Lord, may we see your heart in your people come alive through the gospels this year!

Donna Fraser
(@dfraser)

I am looking forward to this study!

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@dfraser Welcome Donna!

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member

WEEK 1 DAY 1
Some interesting things about today's reading (Week 1 Day 1, Mark 1:1-8):

Immerse you in Holy Spirit
John's description of Jesus feels in a close translation from the Greek:

"Is-coming the One-who-is-greater than me behind me,
who I am not worthy of stooping down to-loose the strap of his shoes.
I immerse you in water,
but he will immerse you in Holy Spirit."

Behind Me
The phrase for "behind me" or "after me" (opisō mou) In John's statement above is the same as used when Jesus says to Peter and Andrew: "Here! behind me (opisō mou)! And I will make you fishers of men." Opisō is the same term used when James and John "follow after/behind" Jesus. And it's the phrase used elsewhere to describe those who follow Jesus: '“If any want to follow behind me [opisō mou], let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."' (Mark 8:34 NRSV) In light of this, John may have been saying that Jesus was one of John's own disciples/students whom John ultimately recognized as being greater than himself.

Repentance and a Letting Go Of/From Sin
John is described as doing an immersion of "repentance for the forgiveness of sins." The Greek word for repentance is metanoia which means "a change of mind," and the kind of "mind"/thinking that is the imaginative/imaging process. The noetic mind. It means "change your perspective" or "change how you see things" in a manner that creates such a shift that it changes one's whole life and actions. As such it corresponds to the Hebrew, shuv or teshuvah, "turning" or "turning around"— a change in how you do things. Repentance is about change.

The phrase "forgiveness of sins" is "releasing from sins" or "letting-go of sins." The word for forgiveness here is afesin, and it is related to the word used later in this chapter when Peter and Andrew drop/let-go of their nets and when John and James leave/let-go of their father in the boat. John is proclaiming an immersion of change for the release/letting-go of and from sin.

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)
Estimable Member

What do you think they would have thought of John’s statement about baptism with water vs the Holy Spirit? What was the “Holy Spirit” to Jews of this day?

I know what it means for me (especially because of the visuals of what happens at Pentecost) but I just wonder what weight/meaning it may have carried when he said it then…

2 Replies
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

Posted by: @travisbruno3

What do you think they would have thought of John’s statement about baptism with water vs the Holy Spirit? What was the “Holy Spirit” to Jews of this day?f

A general answer is that it would be the mind and/or the life-giving Spirit of God himself or a God-given mind or spirit of holiness given to individuals. So the idea of "immersion in holy Spirit" would be an immersion into a mindset (with corresponding behavior) of holiness or an immersion into the very Spirit or mind of God Himself.

Prior to the New Testament, the term/phrase "holy Spirit" was apparently not common in Jewish literature. It is very common in the New Testament (occurring 91 times in 27 books), it only occurs 3 times in the 39 books of the Hebrew bible (though, clearly, many references to God's Spirit occur generally, without the phrase).

“But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them. Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where is he that put his holy Spirit within him?” (Isaiah 63:10–11 KJV)

“Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.” (Psalm 51:11 KJV)

The term was also considered rare in Jewish literature from the period of Jesus and early Christianity until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1948. In the almost 600 non-biblical manuscripts found at Qumran, reference to "holy spirit" or "holy spirits" occurs 75 times. In the scroll manuscripts, sometimes "holy spirit" refers to the Spirit of God, and sometimes it refers to a God-given spirit, mind, or inclination in an individual towards holiness.

I have created a post that contains all of the references to Holy Spirit in the Dead Sea Scrolls if you want to see how the term was used in those texts, for you or others that may be interested in seeing them.

Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@travisbruno3  I also think that there is a radically new thing that happens in the world (and from within Judaism) with the coming of Jesus. Old perspectives are transformed and even turned on their heads, and new ideas emerge from old. A central message of the New Testament is 'God is doing a new thing!' And there is a fulfillment of the promise that God would pour out His Spirit on all flesh (Acts 2:17–18), like a flood of Spirit. And believers in Jesus get to experience this flood, this immersion, in Spirit where believers are actually given access to the mind of Christ and Spirit of God. The Law is no longer written merely on stone and paper, but on the hearts of His people (Jeremiah 31:31–34). It's pretty amazing and hard to get my mind around.

“For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my spirit upon your descendants, and my blessing on your offspring.” (Isaiah 44:3 NRSV)

“And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.
Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days.
I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and billows of smoke.
The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.
And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the LORD has said, even among the survivors whom the LORD calls. (Joel 2:28–32 NIV11)

Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

A few things of note for me from today's reading (Week 1 Day 1, Mark 1.1-8).

• The wilderness continues to be a prominent place in the story of God's redemption. A place of repentance and refinement. Having the opportunity to visit Israel and to be in the areas that could have been where John spent his time was eye opening. It is pretty desolate indeed.
  • Secondly, John's humility and understanding of his role as the preparer connecting with me. One of my commentaries (Pillar NT) said it this way:

"According to a metaphor of the day, John thought himself unworthy to untie the sandals of the Coming One. The loosing of sandals and washing of feet were duties of slaves, indeed of only Gentile slaves, in first–century Judaism. The metaphor bespeaks John’s humility and subordination in relation to the Messiah"

• May we be as humble as John.
1 Reply
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@jralphsmith Reading this bit about the wilderness, I want to try and pay attention as we go through… and see what happens in the wildernesses, see how God uses the wilderness. 

I’ve got to believe that it can inform and shape our perspectives and processing during hardships and painful times… what can I learn from the role of the wilderness in the Gospels? Is it okay that the Spirit actually leads Jesus to the wilderness?

Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)
Trusted Member

In the commentary of my Bible it tells us that the Gospel of Mark is “action packed” and that the reader will learn more about Jesus’s actions as a servant in Mark than the other Gospels. Truly it is our actions that reflect Jesus’s actions that tell those around us that we are Christians.

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

The man Jesus who was born of the Spirit is now filled with the Spirit for all the world to see. He came to proclaim the “kingdom of God” to all the people. This kingdom of God is going to be a radical way of thinking for those who believe. 

Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

As I reflect upon the baptism of Jesus I was struck by Mark's active language in regard to the heavens being torn/splitting apart/open (NET, NRSV, ESV).

"And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him" (v. 10 NRSV)

One of the additional texts that I read made the connection to the Centurion in Ch. 15

15:38 "And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. 39 Now when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, “Truly this man was God’s Son!”

Both of these moments in Mark's Gospel contain the proclamation of Jesus as the Son of God.

Through Jesus, the son of God, we now have access to the Father.

So he came and proclaimed peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near; 18 for through him both of us have access in one Spirit to the Father" (Eph. 2:17-18 NRSV)

Amber Hocker
(@amberhocker)
Eminent Member

Something that stuck out to me and I went back and didn’t see anymore info. on it is that the Spirit drove Jesus out into the wilderness. Why?! I guess in my quick reads or maybe it’s elsewhere in scripture I thought satan drove Jesus into the wilderness. Just caught my attention!

5 Replies
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@amberhocker I just mentioned that too!! (In a reply to Jays earlier comment)

Why do you think it was the spirit? 👀 

Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member
Posted by: @travisbruno3

Why do you think it was the spirit? 👀 

Travis, what are your thoughts?

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@siteadmin But... I asked @amberhocker first! Hahaha.

I tend to think about things like this from the context of my relationship with my own daughter... And so it makes sense from a place, as her father, where I do want her to try hard things so she can learn and grow. I know there is risk of failure or getting hurt or something negative... and I hate when those things actually happen (and I hope I can run to her side when they do).

But that process is so much better, so much more adventurous and colorful and exciting and fulfilling... than if I never pushed her out the door at all and kept her safe in our house. 

So... though, at first, it may seem troubling that the Spirit would "throw" Jesus out into the wilderness... I also totally get it. I mean, I have high hopes for what my daughter will do in the world someday... imagine knowing Jesus is embarking on the journey to reconcile the world... "Get started!!"

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@travisbruno3 I love that perspective. I think of how some children cling to their parents on the first day of school. So hard for child and parent, but the parent has to force them (or, from the child's perspective, "throw them")  into that moment.

Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member
Posted by: @amberhocker

Something that stuck out to me and I went back and didn’t see anymore info. on it is that the Spirit drove Jesus out into the wilderness. Why?! I guess in my quick reads or maybe it’s elsewhere in scripture I thought satan drove Jesus into the wilderness. Just caught my attention!

Amber, Mark is so forceful in his wording. The Greek here is a word that means "to throw out", "force out", "cast out", "make leave" (ekballo). It's the same word used when Jesus casts out unclean spirits, forces people out of rooms, tells disciples to tear out their eye, and forces people out of the temple (Mark 1:34, 39, 43; 3:15, 22–23; 5:40; 6:13; 7:26; 9:18, 28, 38, 47; 11:15; 12:8; 16:9, 17). Matthew and Luke soften this language a bit. They have "the Spirit led Jesus out ... " 

In Mark, in his rapid pace and gritty language, Jesus immediately (evthus) sees the heavens torn open (skizomenous), the Spirit descends "into" (Greek eis avton) Jesus and the voice from the heavens declares who Jesus is, and the immediately (evthus) Jesus is forced out into the wilderness to be put to the test by the Accuser (the Satan).

It's an interesting thought (but probably makes sense) that the Spirit has to sort of force Jesus into this process. Who would want to be hungry and tested for forty days?

Mark Bruno
(@mbbruno)

Sometimes it’s like I’m always in the “wilderness”. It feels like that what “the world” is. No matter where we are, or where God leads us, Satan is tempting as the Spirit is guiding.

2 Replies
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@mbbruno It does feel that way.

It is a comfort to me that Jesus also knows what it feels like to be in this same wilderness of the present world. May I rely upon and trust the Spirit when I face trials and temptations or when I'm put to the test, knowing that His grace also covers my failings because he passed the tests for us.

Mark Bruno
(@mbbruno)

@jimmy Amen, Jimmy!  Sometimes I sound like doom and gloom, but my strength and joy come from that!  No fear and lots of thankfulness!

Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)
Trusted Member

The commentary for versus 1:16-19 states that the disciples did not always answer Jesus’s calling the first time. Peter, James and John didn’t answer Jesus’s calling until the 3rd time. Luke 5:1-11 and John 1:35-42 contain the accounts of the other 2 callings for them to follow Jesus. 🤔🤔

1 Reply
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@okiebull13 wrote:

The commentary for versus 1:16-19 states that the disciples did not always answer Jesus’s calling the first time. Peter, James and John didn’t answer Jesus’s calling until the 3rd time. Luke 5:1-11 and John 1:35-42 contain the accounts of the other 2 callings for them to follow Jesus. 🤔🤔

So often we conflate the Gospel stories rather than noticing their differences, nuances, and uniquenesses. Luke and John do tell different stories (or give more or different details) than Mark. Matthew follows Mark almost verbatim. You can see a comparison of all four accounts here.

What are your thoughts on the nuances and differences of these accounts? 

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

I love how action packed the Gospel of Mark is with rapid fire comments. In my ESV bible the word "Immediately" is used 4 times in today's verses and in verse 28, Mark uses the words "at once". It appears that things are happening rapidly here at the beginning of Jesus ministry and that word of his coming has exploded in the world.

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@vltaylor1136 wrote:

I love how action packed the Gospel of Mark is with rapid fire comments. In my ESV bible the word "Immediately" is used 4 times in today's verses and in verse 28, Mark uses the words "at once". It appears that things are happening rapidly here at the beginning of Jesus ministry and that word of his coming has exploded in the world.

Yes! Mark repeatedly uses the word evthus (which is the word translated "immediately", "at once", "right away").  He uses the term 42 times! It also simply means "straight" or "straight line." It's the adverb form of the adjective used in the intro to Mark 1:3 where he quotes the prophet:

...the voice of one shouting in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make his paths straight [evtheis].’ (Mark 1:3 NET)

Amber Hocker
(@amberhocker)
Eminent Member

I had the same thought of how quickly the men just dropped everything and followed him. It’s interesting that in other books it didn’t seem as sudden, so it makes more sense with the way Mark writes that it may seem more sudden! But I was also thinking, bc it mentions James and John leaving their father in the boat, and I feel like in this more tribal culture (it’s still then I think) it’s a pretty huge deal for a father to have 2 of his sons leave the boat (their job)… but maybe this was considered a high honor to be able to be a disciple under a rabbi?? Just my ramblings!
and then in 24 my Bible said; the confession of Jesus as the Holy One here is significant, coming from an unclean spirit. Jesus, as the Holy One of God, who bears God’s spirit and is the expression of holiness, comes to deal with uncleanness and unholiness.
that feels like Good News.

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@amberhocker wrote:

But I was also thinking, bc it mentions James and John leaving their father in the boat, and I feel like in this more tribal culture (it’s still then I think) it’s a pretty huge deal for a father to have 2 of his sons leave the boat (their job)… but maybe this was considered a high honor to be able to be a disciple under a rabbi??

Amber, yes! The cultures of the first-century Mediterranean (and most cultures of the world, then and now) were what scholars call Dyadic Honor-Shame cultures. This means that identity is based first in the groups to which one belongs (immediate family, clan or extended family, and tribe). Individuality was secondary. In such cultures, leaving or abandoning family is a significant and most-often shameful action. The command to "honor your father and mother" in Jewish culture was understood to mean "take care of your father and mother until they pass away." The choice by John and James to leave behind their father would have been shocking to the first-century audience, and it would have shown how significant (and perhaps scandalous) following Jesus was: enough to warrant leaving family.

then in 24 my Bible said; the confession of Jesus as the Holy One here is significant, coming from an unclean spirit. Jesus, as the Holy One of God, who bears God’s spirit and is the expression of holiness, comes to deal with uncleanness and unholiness.

Yes again! This confession by the unclean spirit fits with Mark's (sometimes humorous) "Messianic Secret", where everyone knows who Jesus is except, frustratingly and humorously, his disciples at times. There are moments as an audience to Mark that we want to yell: "IT'S SO OBVIOUS WHO HE IS! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?"  Even unclean spirits and blind men see it.

In the ancient Jewish world, engagement with spirits of uncleannness and sickness was seen as a sort of conflict or battle. The presence and rule of Gentile/non-Jewish powers was seen as also bringing unclean spirits (or spirits of uncleanness) to the land. This defilement meant that there was a huge focus on ritual purity as well as shamanism to remove the impurity that also caused defilement that was seen as keeping God from dwelling fully with His people and in His temple. Jesus clearly has authority and power over these spirits, and he is removing the uncleanness and liberating people from spiritual oppression. Far from being absent, in Jesus God is present.

Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

1:35 Then Jesus got up early in the morning when it was still very dark, departed, and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer. 

I’ve been trying to set my year up for overall spiritual and physical health. One of the most critical things in my journey of trying to spend regular time with God is the morning. If I can be disciplined in the evenings for the mornings everything is fuller for the day. I was once again drawn to the reality that Jesus got up early, “when it was still very dark” to be in prayer and communion with His Father.

How do you feel about the mornings? I honestly think there’s an something uniquely divine about the pre-dawn hours.

here’s a song that regularly resonates in my spirit about this very thing:

3 Replies
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@jralphsmith When I get mornings right — it makes a monumental difference on the rest of the day... but I also need to be better about days where I don't make the morning time, and giving myself grace (because I can also swing the other direction and be mad at myself for not making the time and that hits me harder than just "missing" a day).

But as far as this passage goes, 

…and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer.

definitely resonate with the space as well as the time... Not that I need a deserted/desolate place, but just having a space without distraction (telling myself "Put your phone DOWN")... Insulate myself from the impending busyness and rest... and pray

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@travisbruno3 @jralphsmith Jesus was also interrupted during this experience of prayer. The pressing needs, desires, expectations of others pursued him into this deserted place (the Greek word for Peter searching for Jesus, katadioko, in the Brill lexicon is "be hot on someone's heels"). I think this is a good point for us as well, to remember that Jesus also faced the struggle to find time and space.

It's also great that this time of prayer (here and in other gospels) seems to give Jesus clarity on his mission. He often prays, and then makes statements or takes actions about his message or work.  In this case:

He replied, “Let us go elsewhere, into the surrounding villages, so that I can proclaim [the kingdom] there too. For that is what I came out here to do.”

Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)

Trusted Member

For most of my life I have been a morning person wether it was getting up to go exercise or go to work early. As I started to add to it a time of scripture reading and prayer, I found I had to get up even earlier which initially was hard but eventually it became the norm. Yes, even in retirement, I find myself awake at 5, at the YMCA at 6 every day except days I gave to get up earlier to be able to add relational breakfast or coffee with a cohort/friend…

Morning time spent with God, in exercise and with friends is my way of renewing my life every morning🤗👍🐮

Jamie Crooch
(@jcgram)

Enjoying reading together and all the comments. Thank you all. Jay I too was struck by the language of the heavens being torn apart as God’s spirit descended on Jesus. Value of this slow reading, seeing scripture in new ways. The torn curtain God with us.

Amber Hocker
(@amberhocker)
Eminent Member

I love the pre-dawn hours to sit with Jesus. It's something I try to always do, but I am so thankful for all the thoughts you all shared below because there are times it doesn't happen (like when I've been up multiple times with kids), and I have to have grace and times when I am distracted by kiddos who decided to get up with me! I understand Jesus desire to "go to a deserted place" , and that can feel impossible for me this season of life, BUT I also sure love what you said Jimmy about Jesus having plenty of interruptions. I think anytime we are willing to create a rhythm of time with God, he is so pleased, EVEN IF, it may not look like we want. Preaching to myself here!!

Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)
Estimable Member

As I read today's passage about Jesus going to Peter's home and healing his mother in law then preaching and healing many, I picture the scene as it was presented in The Chosen. They didn't miss a detail and managed to capture the emotion of it all. I think sometimes my familiarity with the words prevents me from entering into the events as they happened. Slowing down to read and reread is helping me do that. And having a visual of the scene helps too 😅

Paul Moore
(@paulmoore405)

It has been a long time since I have been a part of a slow walk through the scriptures, but I am starting to get the rhythm back. Thanks for the opportunity to do this in such good company!

Mark Welch
(@sailing-bum)

Now that I am retired, early morning does not carry the burden of worry or stress associated with working for a tribal government, the long commute and the appointments of the day. 

Instead, my day starts off with a delightfully clean slate, fresh, hopeful and thoroughly convinced that by beginning with a good dose of scripture, I can be productive and transform my little world around me into a  better place. Such optimism, such intent, but rarely achieved. 

My big blunder was attempting to prove my worth to my Creator by digesting an entire chapter each day at 6am - sometimes even before coffee. It has never worked. In fact, my practice (ritual), resembled a superstition, not devotion.

Defaulting to my decades old belief that I must work for the Lord's attention has garnered little in the way of spiritual growth. 

But digesting large volumes of scripture each day as a perfunctory act, has been the best method I can think of to set myself adrift from God and flounder in a sea of discouragement and frustration (my obligatory nautical analogy - sorry).  

This week, I've found these small bits of ingest to be very refreshing and at the same time crucial to my own understanding of Jesus.  Aside from the more salient lessons that jump from the pages, especially in Mark, it is the subtleties and nuances in scripture that I've needed to explore for quite some time.  I'll probably still pour that coffee before donning the reading glasses though.

2 Replies
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@sailing-bum

Brother, that is so good. All of it.

It's amazing how hard we work at grace sometimes. lol

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@sailing-bum Wow, I’m definitely going to save your insights in these words! Nautical analogy, and all. 🙃 Futile efforts to prove my worth, when all along He just wants relationship… and the idea of superstition also struck me—I’d never thought of it that way, but it sure seems like that sometimes!

Thank you for your wisdom!

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him and said to him,  “I will; be clean.” (ESV)

Jesus was indignant. 1:41 Many manuscripts Jesus was filled with compassion
 He reached out his hand and touched the man.  “I am willing,” he said.  “Be clean!” (NIV)

Words are important. The Bible has been translated into many languages. The passage above is an example of how different versions can differ in language. "Moved with pity" is much different in meaning than "Jesus was indignant". I am curious about why the difference in wording in different versions of the Bible. For me, Jesus would have known that this leper was not going to follow his command, so being indignant would make sense. But I also believe, Jesus would have pity and want to heal the man of his illness. Emotions are crazy things and can change very quickly. Jesus, being human would have had all the same emotions that we experience including "pity" and "indignation".

This passage also shows me how we as humans, want to be healed but on our terms, not on the terms of God. We want God to heal us but then once we are healed we tend to go back to our old ways of living and not follow God. How would the ministry of Jesus changed had the man done what Jesus asked him to do and not tell anyone of what had happened? Hmmm

Nancy Delpha
(@ndelpha)

Jimmy, could you talk about the word in verse 41 that is translated ‘pity’ as in Jesus was moved with pity. It is also translated as ‘indignation’ in the above translation. There seems to be a significant difference to me in the definition of those words and I am curious about the original meaning of the word used here. thank you!

2 Replies
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

Vickie and Nancy (@ndelpha and @vltaylor1136),

Bill Parks (@8ill8ook) brought this question up the other day. Here's what I wrote to him:

This is quite a textual dilemma for those scholars and translation committees choosing which Greek texts are the best. Most manuscripts of Mark (almost all) have the Greek word for “being filled with compassion” (splangchnistheis) at Mark 1:39. However, an important early manuscript known as Codex Bezae (given the letter designation ‘D’) has “to be angry” (orgistheis) at this verse. The question is: which word reflects the original wording of Mark? How is that decision made? On one hand, it seems unlikely that scribes would have changed “Jesus was filled with compassion” to “Jesus was angry” in this passage concerning the leper. In addition, Jesus does get angry in other places in Mark (7:34; 9:19). Perhaps in Mark’s original, Jesus was angry with the leper in this passage as well, and then later scribes softened/changed the text to align more with Jesus having compassion.

On the other hand, though Codex Bezae (D) is an early witness to the text of Mark, the scribe(s) of this manuscript frequently made significant changes to the text. Is it possible that the scribe of D changed “was filled with compassion” to “was angry/indignant” in order to line up with Jesus’ stern warning to him to be silent in Mark 1:43? Also, if later scribes were softening Jesus’ treatment of the leper at Mark 1:39, why didn’t these scribes make similar changes from anger to compassion at Mark 7:34 and 9:19?

Scholars are divided on the conclusions. So some English translation committees choose to use the majority of manuscripts and others choose to use the reading of Codex Bezae. The NET, NIV 2011, and a few others choose “indignant.” Most other versions choose “filled with compassion.”

Also to note: It takes lots of meticulous work by well-trained experts, who sometimes have to make difficult decisions, to put an English Bible into our hands. We should be thankful for them and their work.

Bill Parks
(@8ill8ook)

@jimmy Thanks, Jimmy. The whole process of translation is way past my understanding.

Amber Hocker
(@amberhocker)
Eminent Member

So I went and read some of Leviticus… and I’ve read it before, but it’s so wild all that someone like this man has to go through to “be clean”. Yet, Jesus touches him and he’s immediately clean! I feel like in the time of Leviticus that there were probably not a lot of people with leprosy who were showing up to a priest healed either… Maybe that’s why Jesus wanted him to go to them and be this testimony? Another question, were the people of this time still living by Levitical law? (I think I asked that right?!)

1 Reply
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@amberhocker wrote:

...were the people of this time still living by Levitical law? 

Amber,

The short answer is yes and no. 😉

The "yes" part of the answer is that all Jews who worshiped YHWH probably had some level of concern about following the biblical laws. They were certainly still seen as binding upon them. However, the "no" part of the answer, based upon Jewish writings of the period, indicate the the level of adherence to these laws was not consistent and certainly not to the level that Pharisees, Essenes, and Sadducees desired. The issues of clean and unclean were of vital importance to these groups, and they complained frequently that the "people of the land" did not practice them. Some groups even withdrew from society on the grounds that they did not want to be made unclean by the practices of Jews who lived like Gentiles.

Share: