Notifications
Clear all

WEEK 22 | TUESDAY | MATTHEW 20.17-34

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member

This week’s readings are all from Matthew 20-21. Click here to see a full listing of each day’s reading and the full chapters of Matthew 20-21. Full readings of each day’s smaller segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading

17 As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve aside privately and said to them on the way, 18 “Look, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the experts in the law. They will condemn him to death, 19 and will turn him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged severely and crucified. Yet on the third day, he will be raised.”

20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling down she asked him for a favor. 21 He said to her, “What do you want?” She replied, “Permit these two sons of mine to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus answered, “You don’t know what you are asking! Are you able to drink the cup I am about to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.” 23 He told them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right and at my left is not mine to give. Rather, it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

24 Now when the other ten heard this, they were angry with the two brothers. 25 But Jesus called them and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those in high positions use their authority over them. 26 It must not be this way among you! Instead whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

29 As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed them. 30 Two blind men were sitting by the road. When they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted, “Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!” 31 The crowd scolded them to get them to be quiet. But they shouted even more loudly, “Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!” 32 Jesus stopped, called them, and said, “What do you want me to do for you?” 33 They said to him, “Lord, let our eyes be opened.” 34 Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him.

5 Replies
Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

Not only did the blind men regain their sight, they also follow Jesus. So they not only gained physical sight but spiritual sight as well.

1 Reply
Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)

Estimable Member

Yes!!! 🙌🙌

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @siteadmin

20 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her sons, and kneeling down she asked him for a favor.

What do you think Matthew was doing, telling it as their mothers doing the asking? Mark had just the two asking themselves. Not a critical point, the overall message seems to be the same. But I wondered about the difference.

Any cultural significance to mothers advocating for their sons?

1 Reply
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

Good question. Also interesting is that Jesus, as he does in Mark, responds directly to them and not to their mother, as if they were the ones asking themselves.

Maybe they thought their mother had more pull? lol

The connection between sons and mothers is very strong in cultures of the Middle East. Though these cultures are patriarchal in nature (with public honor dwelling with fathers), the closer, emotional connection for sons is often with the mother. In the Old Testament as well, we often see mothers advocating for their sons. Two examples are Rebekah advocating for Jacob and Bathsheba advocating for Solomon.

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @siteadmin

As they were leaving Jericho

Jericho was and is an oasis town to the northwest of the Dead Sea. It is one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the world. Though it is in the middle of the desert at the lowest spot on earth (825 feet below sea level), it has the resources of many pure water springs (including 'Elisha's Spring'). Its consistent warm and hot climate combined with this fresh water allows it to grow many things year-round. Herod the Great built a fortress overlooking it, and the road out of Jericho at the beginning of the great ascent to Jerusalem passed by it. During Jesus' day, this fortress was used by Herod Antipas.  The traditional 'Mount of Temptation' where Jesus was tempted also overlooks Jericho. The road up to Jerusalem makes a 3500-foot ascent from Jericho to the peak of the Mount of Olives, and it winds through the Judean wilderness.

Looking West from Jericho today (the highest peak is the 'Mount of Temptation):

IMG 0735

Looking East from Jericho (towards the Jordan River and the nation of Jordan):

IMG 0737

Photos of the Judean wilderness taken from the old Roman road up to Jerusalem (looking down to the northeast and east, towards the Jordan River Valley and Jericho):

IMG 0759
IMG 0746

In later centuries after Jesus, Christian monks began to live in the caves in the Wadi Qelt along the journey up to Jerusalem. Shepherds have used them for shelter for as long as nomadic people have lived in the area, and still do. Some monks eventually built permanent shelters. This is St. George's monastery in Wadi Qelt. Beyond it in the distance to the west can be seen the Mount of Olives (the two furthest peaks with the towers in the center of the second photo). Jerusalem is on the immediate other (western) side of the Mount of Olives. This was the journey Jesus and his disciples took from Jericho.

IMG 0768
IMG 0771

Share: