Clear all

WEEK 16 | TUESDAY | MATTHEW 7.15-29

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week’s readings are all from Matthew 7-8. Click here to see a full listing of each day’s reading and the full chapter of Matthew 7-8. Full readings of each day’s smaller segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading

15 “Watch out for false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are voracious wolves. 16 You will recognize them by their fruit. Grapes are not gathered from thorns or figs from thistles, are they? 17 In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree is not able to bear bad fruit, nor a bad tree to bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will recognize them by their fruit.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of heaven—only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 On that day, many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many powerful deeds in your name?’ 23 Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you. Go away from me, you lawbreakers!’

24 “Everyone who hears these words of mine and does them is like a wise man who built his house on rock. 25 The rain fell, the flood came, and the winds beat against that house, but it did not collapse because its foundation had been laid on rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain fell, the flood came, and the winds beat against that house, and it collapsed—it was utterly destroyed!”

28 When Jesus finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed by his teaching, 29 because he taught them like one who had authority, not like their experts in the law.

3 Replies
Jay Smith
(@jralphsmith)

A few things.

#1 thank you for your patience in the podcast production. With Holy Week and a few huge meetings at the foundation that Jimmy and Travis are working hard to make happen, we are behind on our recordings. We will catch up soon.

#2 In a sermon I preached on these passages a few weeks ago I talked about NT wright making the connection to warning signs, especially the “turn around don’t drown” signs that we see in flood prone places.

The warnings for me are to sift the teachings and leadings of others through the word of God, and particularly the teachings of Jesus and to abide in Jesus as I obediently do what is laid out for me to do.

Sometimes to truly follow Jesus feels incredibly difficult, but Jesus has both walked this road and has promised to empower us and guide us through the Holy Spirit.

I don’t think Jesus wants for us to be discouraged and walk away sulking like the Rich Young Ruler, but instead wants us to pursue Him, through grace and by the power of the Spirit be transformed, through obedience, into holy, perfect people.

What do you all think about these passages?

1 Reply
Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)

Estimable Member

Jay--you, Jimmy, and Travis do remarkable well with weekly podcasts. I know that can't be easy! Thanks for all your hard work.

These passages challenge me so deeply, but I love your point that we aren't to pout and turn away, but to pursue Him. I'm finding that to be true for me. It's so easy to feel sorry for myself 😬😬 but when I do, my eyes are on me. Rather, if I pursue Jesus, my eyes shift to Him. And that makes ALL the difference!

Amber Hocker
(@amberhocker)
Eminent Member

These are very challenging passages. Jay, thank you for the reminder of that sermon, these warning signs. I think a question I have to ask myself in this first part is what is the fruit in my life?? If we can’t come up with anything, but call ourselves followers of Jesus then we need to check ourselves.

Share: