Clear all

WEEK 15 | FRIDAY | MATTHEW 6:19-34

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

TThis week’s readings are all from Matthew 5-6. Click here to see a full listing of each day’s reading and the full chapter of Matthew 5-6. Full readings of each day’s smaller segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week..

Today's Reading

“Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and devouring insect destroy and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But accumulate for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and devouring insect do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If then your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is diseased, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Isn’t there more to life than food and more to the body than clothing? 26 Look at the birds in the sky: They do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you more valuable than they are? 27 And which of you by worrying can add even one hour to his life? 28 Why do you worry about clothing? Think about how the flowers of the field grow; they do not work or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these! 30 And if this is how God clothes the wild grass, which is here today and tomorrow is tossed into the fire to heat the oven, won’t he clothe you even more, you people of little faith? 31 So then, don’t worry saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ 32 For the unconverted pursue these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But above all pursue his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 So then, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.

4 Replies
Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)
Estimable Member

I enjoy reading these pages in a different translation. The subtle difference in word choice opens new understandings. Like 6:33. "Seek first the kingdom" is what I've memorized. But hearing it as "pursue his kingdom and righteousness" feels like a stronger action. Love it!

2 Replies
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@shelley-johnson I’m the same, Shelley!! I think the word pursue feels a lot more engaged, and it makes me think of God’s continual pursuit of us, as well… maybe it’s just because it’s a new word, but I will try to say pursue whenever I think of this verse from now on. 😜

Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)

Estimable Member

@travisbruno3 yes!! Here's to pursuing God!

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @siteadmin

“Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and devouring insect destroy and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But accumulate for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and devouring insect do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If then your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is diseased, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

This whole passage is about kingdom relationships with money/possessions and generosity. 'Treasure in heaven' was understood to be built up through acts of charity on earth. The wisdom text of Ben Sirach stated:

Nevertheless, be patient with someone in humble circumstances, and do not keep him waiting for your alms. Help the poor for the commandment’s sake, and in their need do not send them away empty-handed. Lose your silver for the sake of a brother or a friend, and do not let it rust under a stone and be lost. Lay up your treasure according to the commandments of the Most High, and it will profit you more than gold. Store up almsgiving in your treasury, and it will rescue you from every disaster; better than a stout shield and a sturdy spear, it will fight for you against the enemy. (Sirach 29.8–13 NRSV, emphasis added)

The book of Tobit contains a similar idea:

To all those who practice righteousness give alms from your possessions, and do not let your eye begrudge the gift when you make it. Do not turn your face away from anyone who is poor, and the face of God will not be turned away from you. If you have many possessions, make your gift from them in proportion; if few, do not be afraid to give according to the little you have. So you will be laying up a good treasure for yourself against the day of necessity. For almsgiving delivers from death and keeps you from going into the Darkness. Indeed, almsgiving, for all who practice it, is an excellent offering in the presence of the Most High. (Tobit 4.6–11 NRSV, emphasis added)

Jesus also connects having 'treasure in heaven' with giving to the poor. To the 'rich young ruler,' Jesus says:

Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Matthew 19.21 NET, see also Mark 10.21; Luke 18.22)

And to a crowd of followers and disciples he says similarly says (similar to Matthew 6:19-21):

“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father is well pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide yourselves purses that do not wear out—a treasure in heaven that never decreases, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Luke 12.32–34 NET)

A 'good eye' (an ʿayin tov or tov ʿayin) is an idiom for generosity and a 'bad eye' (ʿayin raʿ or raʿ ʿayin) is an idiom for envy and stinginess.  These idioms are used in the following passages in the OT:

Those who are generous ['the good of eye', tov ʿayin] are blessed, for they share their bread with the poor. (Proverbs 22.9 NRSV)

Do not eat the bread of the stingy [the 'evil of eye', raʿ ʿayin]; do not desire their delicacies; (Proverbs 23.6 NRSV)

The miser ['evil of eye', raʿ ʿayin] is in a hurry to get rich and does not know that loss is sure to come. (Proverbs 28.22 NRSV)

Be careful that you do not entertain a mean thought, thinking, “The seventh year, the year of forgiveness of debts, is near,” and therefore view your needy neighbor with evilness of eye and give nothing; your neighbor might cry to YHWH against you, and you would incur guilt. (Deuteronomy 15.9)

Share: