Clear all

Week 13 | Thursday | Mark 15:33-47

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week’s readings are all from Mark 15-16. Click here to see a full listing of each day’s reading and the full chapter of Mark 15-16. Full readings of each day’s smaller segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading

33 Now when it was noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. 34 Around three o’clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?35 When some of the bystanders heard it they said, “Listen, he is calling for Elijah!” 36 Then someone ran, filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a stick, and gave it to him to drink, saying, “Leave him alone! Let’s see if Elijah will come to take him down!” 37 But Jesus cried out with a loud voice and breathed his last. 38 And the temple curtain was torn in two, from top to bottom. 39 Now when the centurion, who stood in front of him, saw how he died, he said, “Truly this man was God’s Son!” 40 There were also women, watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. 41 When he was in Galilee, they had followed him and given him support. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were there too.

42 Now when evening had already come, since it was the day of preparation (that is, the day before the Sabbath), 43 Joseph of Arimathea, a highly regarded member of the council, who was himself looking forward to the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. 44 Pilate was surprised that he was already dead. He called the centurion and asked him if he had been dead for some time. 45 When Pilate was informed by the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph. 46 After Joseph bought a linen cloth and took down the body, he wrapped it in the linen and placed it in a tomb cut out of the rock. Then he rolled a stone across the entrance of the tomb. 47 Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses saw where the body was placed. (Mark 15:33-47 NET)

13 Replies
1 Reply
Mark Bruno
(@mbbruno)

@siteadmin Mark gives a brief sentence that “the temple curtain was torn…”.   The eternal “wall” between God and man was torn down.  How did the people know that now, thru Christ,  they could approach God on a personal level?  Along with the “forgiveness of sins” through Christ’s sacrifice, the “bridge” that separated us was also opened!

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

“Someone ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down,” he said.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭15:36‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://mark.bible/mark-15-36

This verse struck me today because the crowd still wants to see a miracle or so it seems. Let’s keep Jesus alive a little longer and see what happens. Was this an act of mercy or an act of cruelty? The crowd still does not understand the significance of this moment.

2 Replies
Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@vltaylor1136 

Was this an act of mercy or an act of cruelty?

This is a great question.

Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)

Trusted Member

I don’t know the answer to this question but it could be both.

Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)
Trusted Member

“My God my God, why have you forsaken me”

My mind has always thought that Jesus was crying out to God because of the physical pain Jesus experienced. The commentary I read raised the point that the spiritual pain Jesus experienced as he who was without sin took on the sins of the world: past, present and future, was far greater than the physical pain. It went on to say that just as our sin is the only thing that can separate us from God, so it was with Jesus at that point as he “carried” our sins as the ultimate living sacrifice and was spiritually separated from His Father, God.

8 Replies
Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@okiebull13 I don't know. I think the idea may be more that it looks like God has rejected Jesus (his suffering, death, rejection by everyone may seem to be also a rejection by God), but Psalm 22, the first line of which is quoted by Jesus ultimately turns this upside down: 

You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him; stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!

For he did not despise or abhor the affliction of the afflicted; he did not hide his face from me, but heard when I cried to him. (Psalm 22.23–24 NRSV emphasis added)

To him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and I shall live for him. (Psalm 22.29 NRSV)

For Jesus to quote the first line of this Psalm, likely well known by most first-century Jews, and then they see the comparisons of what is happening at Jesus' crucifixion and the words of the Psalm, I think the conclusion would be more in line with the Psalm: God never turned his back, even though it seemed that way.  I've made a post containing the entirety of Psalm 22, the 'Psalm of the Cross' for reference. When you read it, note the turn from despair to hope and victory at verse 10.

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@okiebull13 @jimmy I've also considered the element of "Jesus taking on our sins" as part of the cross... and the idea that in a moment, Jesus experienced separation from God. Jesus feeling the physical cost of the cross for sure, and the relational pain from moments like Peter's denial... but also the cost of sin left a gap that he also endures. 

Reading through Psalm 22, I definitely see what you mention, Jimmy, that with the understanding of the whole Psalm the idea is that God ultimately didn't hide his face... But how do you think about the "spiritual" aspect of Jesus bearing the weight and paying the cost of our sin?

I wonder where/why I've had this assumption that Jesus was completely separated from God in that moment.

Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@travisbruno3 @okiebull13 

I wonder where/why I've had this assumption that Jesus was completely separated from God in that moment.

This is a good question. A good topic for Bible study and research, I think. 😉

Read Scripture
Admin
(@siteadmin)

Illustrious Member

@travisbruno3 @okiebull13  How do you see it?

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@siteadmin I guess how I said it above?

…the idea that in a moment, Jesus experienced separation from God. Jesus feeling the physical cost of the cross for sure, and the relational pain from moments like Peter's denial... but also the cost of sin left a gap that he also endures.

I think part of it comes out of wondering about what it actually means to atone for our sins...? And growing up there was this understanding that sin separates us from God, but Jesus's death and resurrection on the cross bridges that gap/separation, once and for all forever. 

And I'll ask you again 😉 ... how do you think about the "spiritual" aspect of Jesus bearing the weight and paying the cost of our sin? Do you think "sin separates us from God"? I feel like I want to ask a slightly different question but I can't find the words.

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@travisbruno3:

And growing up there was this understanding that sin separates us from God, but Jesus's death and resurrection on the cross bridges that gap/separation, once and for all forever. 

I think, the way I see scripture, is yes: sin separates us from God. It causes Adam and Eve to hide from God in the Garden. It causes shame, guilt, loss, and breaking of relationship with God and others because of our response. However, the other thing I see in scripture is that sin does does not separate God from us. God consistently and repeatedly pursues sinful humanity for a reconciled relationship, though we also consistently and repeatedly turn away and rebel. With Adam and Eve, it is God who makes the first sacrifice (taking the life of an animal) to clothe them, and then God goes with them when they are exiled from the Garden. The fullest picture of this relentless commitment and pursuit of sinners is in Jesus himself. Rather than turning away, God fully turns towards us in Jesus, offering Jesus as a peace-offering and cover (Hebrew 'atone' is 'cover') for our sins for the sake of restoring the relationship God wants with us.

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@jimmy Us from God vs. God from Us – that is helpful to think about!

The things that stick out in my memory are the moment where the men died after touching the Ark as it was falling, and something about not being able to directly gaze upon the glory of the Lord without perishing.

I feel like those are sort of where the concept rests for me, and I'm not really sure what else to do with that, haha. 

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)

Estimable Member

@travisbruno3: The things that stick out in my memory are the moment where the men died after touching the Ark as it was falling, and something about not being able to directly gaze upon the glory of the Lord without perishing.

Yes. I do think the holiness of God is real. Powerful. It's akin to the sun, it cannot be glared at or touched without negative effect. It's life-giving power is too much for the natural state of humanity if approached too close.

However, even with these elements, God makes a way. Isaiah sees God and God's glory. So does Moses ('face to face'). God takes on human-ness in the Incarnation so that the coming together of humans and God's can happen (the typical idea of atonement). Even when God pours out judgment on humanity, God allows a remnant because God does not ever fully turn from us—even in our sinfulness. Instead, God relentless pursues us and longs to bring us to a restored relationship.

Here's a video (with an example that Jay has used in a sermon) of a couple of differences in the views of this within the Church, the typical Protestant and the Orthodox views. It is admittedly focused on the Orthodox view:

John Wesley leaned into both of these views a bit, so Methodist understanding is a mix of both.

Share: