Clear all

Week 09 | Thursday | Mark 11:20-25

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week’s readings are all from Mark chapter 11. Click here to see a full listing of each day’s reading and the full chapter of Mark 11. Full readings of day’s smaller segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today’s Reading

In the morning as they passed by, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered.” Jesus said to them, “Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, if someone says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven will also forgive you your sins.” (Mark 11.20–25 NET)

5 Replies
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)
Estimable Member

This is a tough one. Whenever this passage has been talked about, I usually come away feeling discouraged because of all the good things I have prayed for that haven’t come about… Did I just not believe it enough? How am I supposed to believe it more?

What do you do with this section?

3 Replies
Shelley Johnson
(@shelley-johnson)

Estimable Member

I. Don't. Know. 😩 I've been reading a lot about prayer and doing a lot of praying, and not all prayers get answered. Prayers are not meant to be wish lists. Prayers are invitations into the work God is already doing. Prayers become our way to speak honestly with God--our fears and hopes and laments. Prayers are our means to intercede for people and the world. And because of the Holy Spirit, there is power in our prayers. These things I know to be true, yet when I read this passage I wonder what Jesus, exactly, is saying or what I'm missing. I end up saying, I don't know. 🤷 And, I embrace the mystery of faith. I choose to keep praying in faith. 🙌

Amber Hocker
(@amberhocker)

Eminent Member

Same thoughts Travis and Shelley. As it’s been rolling around in my mind this AM I was thinking about how I have to trust, fully, God in his sovereignty, but I do believe the Spirt gives us power and authority to intercede! Also, I had the thought of this mystery of faith part, may not ever understand what exactly Jesus means here, except one day when we get to ask him in person. I don’t know!

Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@amberhocker @shelley-johnson The mystery of faith… the power of prayer… I’m with ya. Don’t worry! We finally clear it up in the podcast, so be looking out!

PS - We definitely don’t. Hahahaha, but I think that our conversation will be helpful in some way! 

I like what y’all are saying, though, about prayer being bigger than just an ask-and-receive thing. It’s a relationship and an ongoing work. AND what @mallary-malwick said, tying it to forgiveness! I noticed that too and I have to think that’s part of it, not just an optional footnote.

Lord help us to have faith to believe in the power of communicating with you; not so we get whatever we want, but so (through faith and forgiveness) we find ourselves wanting what you want, and forgiving as you forgive.

Mallary Malwick
(@mallary-malwick)
Eminent Member

I think it is interesting that the one specific thing that is mentioned about praying is that we are to start with forgiving others. I think it must be a way to prepare our hearts for meeting/talking with God… a way to unhardern our hearts.

Share: