Clear all

Week 07 | Wednesday | Mark 88

Read Scripture
Admin
Topic starter
(@siteadmin)
Illustrious Member
wpf-cross-image

This week’s readings are all from Mark chapters 8-9. Click here to see the full reading and a list of each day’s readings. Each day’s segments of the readings will be posted on this site during the week.

Today's Reading

Then Jesus began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and experts in the law, and be killed, and after three days rise again. He spoke openly about this. So Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But after turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan. You are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.”

Then Jesus called the crowd, along with his disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wants to become my follower, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of me and because of the gospel will save it. For what benefit is it for a person to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his life? What can a person give in exchange for his life? For if anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” And he said to them, “I tell you the truth, there are some standing here who will not experience death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.”

Six days later Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John and led them alone up a high mountain privately. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became radiantly white, more so than any launderer in the world could bleach them. Then Elijah appeared before them along with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. So Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us make three shelters —one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” (For they were afraid, and he did not know what to say.) Then a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came from the cloud, “This is my one dear Son. Listen to him!” Suddenly when they looked around, they saw no one with them any more except Jesus. (Mark 8.31–9.8 NET)

Gospel Parallels:

5 Replies
Vickie Taylor
(@vltaylor1136)
Trusted Member

Mark 8:27-9:8, give us an interesting view of Peter. Peter, who first says “You are the Christ”. To Peter, who doesn’t want to hear that Jesus must suffer and die. To Peter who is terrified at the transfiguration. For me how totally human Peter is in these words and how typical of us who believe. We love the Lord but we want things our way and it scares us when God presents himself to us or asks us to follow him, where ever that leads. And yet, Peter perseveres to spread the name of Jesus throughout the world. How do you see Peter in these verses? 🤔

1 Reply
Jeffrey Bull
(@okiebull13)

Trusted Member

When I think of any of the Apostles, I am reminded of the Maundy Thursday Service we have done that captured the thoughts of each Apostle at the Last Super…in Peter’s Soliloquie, he is portrayed as one who wants to please Jesus more than anything and questions himself through statements such as…”depart from me O Lord, for I am a sinful man”…”I am a mixture of good and evil, of Godliness and Devilishness”…Peter was warned that he would deny Jesus 3 times before the cock would crow…”will I deny him tonight?”…”Will Jesus disown me if I do deny him”…”will he close the doors of the Kingdom to me?”…and finally when Peter hears Jesus say that one of the 12 will betray him……..”Lord is it I…Is it I?”

Jimmy Doyle
Admin
(@jimmy)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @vltaylor1136

We love the Lord but we want things our way and it scares us when God presents himself to us or asks us to follow him, where ever that leads. And yet, Peter perseveres to spread the name of Jesus throughout the world.

So good!

Juan Martinez
(@silverfx23)

I find myself identifying with Peter very much in how he is portrayed here. Very human. He takes Jesus aside and gives Him a "talking to" then later offers to build Him Moses and Elijah a shelter even as he just witnessed one of the most fantastic sights a human ever has, and I feel very much the aside about not bringing bread along when Jesus refers to the yeast of the Pharisees, probably Peter right? And that's very much like something I would do, just try to be useful and involved while totally stepping on the moment.

1 Reply
Travis Bruno
Admin
(@travisbruno3)

Estimable Member

@silverfx23 Yes! What a roller coaster of awareness, of right and wrong reactions… Ultimately, Peter is just trying, and Jesus always has grace for that because Peter’s heart is for Jesus, even when his mind can’t catch on. 😜 Very relatable.

Share: